Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

It all started with an awesome ringing in of the new year with some good friends of mine whom I had not seen in quite some time at a concert near Times Square. I had to leave the concert at 3:30am to go to the subway, get my luggage from my sister’s apartment in the West Village, then take a cab at 4:30 to catch my flight at 6:40, direct to Salt Lake City for a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician refresher course. While I’m waiting in the subway station, I listened to a voicemail I had received from an 800 number. I learned my flight had been cancelled, and I had been rebooked on a 4:45pm flight to SLC with a layover in Atlanta. I headed back to catch the end of the show and wish some final farewells to my friends. I then headed back to my sister’s place and crashed until 2pm, then got all set to take a cab at 3.
Well, here’s where I dropped the ball, I suppose: being so used to flying in and out of Reno, an airport that’s never had a line longer than 3 people, I didn’t account for traffic, that it’s JFK int’l, and one of the busiest travel days of the year. So I arrived at the airport a few minutes after 4, and had no shot at making my flight, despite a very helpful Delta agent’s assistance. So then I was standing in the ticketing line to get rebooked, and there was one window open and a line about 50 people long. I decided to call in and change the flight, which I did successfully, and was booked on a 6:49pm flight to SLC via Minneapolis. I went in to print my boarding pass at the self service kiosk, which found my reservation, but then informed me I must speak with an agent to proceed and print the boarding passes. Well there were 200 people in line to drop bags and speak to agents, but thanks to my resourcefulness and ability to think outside the box, I went to check in curbside, where the line was 5 people long. Success! I checked my bags (somehow for free--I can catch at least one break, right?), headed to security and found my way to the gate. After some slight delays, I boarded the plane, then proceeded to taxi for about an hour before taking off.
I landed in Minneapolis at about 9:40, and we were at the gate 10 mins. later. In my past experiences, flight attendants have been pretty good about letting those who are catching connecting flights deplane first, but for whatever reason, that wasn’t the case tonight. So I’m caught behind this fairly heavyset fellow trying to pass him on either side going up the ramp, and I finally squeeze by. I ask the woman at the gate for directions to gate G9, she tells me, and I bolt. Racing down the moving walkway, I even yelled to one person as I approached, “Pick a side!” Thankfully, she obliged, and I sprinted on. Up the escalator and about 4 moving walkways later, what I was certain was just a mirage appeared: an airport attendant driving a golf cart. I yelled out, “Salt Lake City flight from gate G9 left yet?!” He replied,
“I’m not sure…” At this point I had pretty much already gotten on the cart and he said,
“Where’re you going?”
“Salt Lake City.”
“I don’t know which gate that is.”
“I do, G9, step on it!”
This saved me about another ¾ mile sprint, and I was so relieved to see the plane still there at the gate. I had already checked and knew it was the last flight to SLC for the evening, and I was concerned that if I missed even a little bit of this course, I may not be eligible to complete it--potentially costing me all my tuition and travel expenses. I’m not home free yet, the door to the ramp was closed and there was no one at the desk. I begin waving frantically in the window and pressing my ticket up next to it, hoping the pilots will see me and notify someone on board to come get me. How do you signal “PLEASE!”? I guess because I was waving so frantically, they knew I wasn’t just bidding them adieu, and sure enough, a pilot picked up the phone, a flight attendant walked into the cockpit, crouched down to see me, and a moment later was up the ramp checking me in.

PHEW!

Smooth sailing until I land in SLC, where, obviously, my bags do not arrive. Mind you, the forecast here over the next 10 days is about 32 degrees, and all my winter gear is in my two checked bags. So I have the clothes on my back: a long-sleeved thermal, jeans, and sneakers. Here, I dropped the ball again, I got on my computer as I waited for my shuttle, instead of filing a delayed baggage claim. I only realized this at the moment the shuttle arrived, and I was reassured by the shuttle agent that I’d simply be able to claim them over the phone. I got in the shuttle with another couple who was getting dropped off nearby, and I pitched to the driver that I’d like to stop at anywhere that might be open so I could at least get a hat and jacket. I tried half a dozen places and had no luck. He dropped off the other couple, and the driver got tired to waiting at a red light after a few cycles, so he decided to just go for it. Instantly, he got pulled over. Luckily for him, he got off with a warning, and luckily for me, the driver thought to try a truck stop en route to the University Guest House where I’m staying. I picked up a jacket, hat, and gloves, all for $50! I arrived at the hotel, checked in, and am now ready to catch about 4 hours of sleep before I have to wake up at the crack of dawn and get into diligent student mode. I tried claiming my bags over the phone, but I was informed doing so will be impossible, and I must file the claim at the airport. So tomorrow I will have to hitch a ride, hopefully from a classmate in whatever miniscule amount of spare time we both have, to and from the airport.
The best part is that, despite all the hassles and unfortunate circumstances I experienced today, I’m still maintaining a positive attitude. I cannot be stopped! This is going to be a great course and a great beginning to something that I’m certain I will find truly rewarding. I must attribute most of this energy to a wonderful visit with all of my beloved family and friends. Thank you to all of you who are a part of my life, you mean so much to me!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hang in there, Brother!! Triage your time and energy well in the next day or 2 (wrt sleep, luggage, etc.). By tomorrow, I expect you'll be settled in a comfortable groove for the class.

If there's some way I can support you from a distance, let me know?

Study hard !!