Saturday, January 17, 2009

Awful Hero Call

It's not easy being back in the poker world. I had a couple good sessions last week and forgot it was actually possible to lose. I have been playing well for the most part, with the exception of my attempt at being a hero just about 45 minutes ago. I went to Harvey's with Wes and he got sucked out on with (I assume) the nut straight vs. two pair that filled up on the turn. I stuck around and we got down to 3 handed with a regular player and a visitor from SF. I had played with the regular last weekend and definitely got the best of him, I even picked up a pretty crucial tell. Tonight went his way though, as the first hand 3 handed, he straddled UTG/BTN and I picked up KTo in sb, and decided to make it $30. Both players called and the flop came K84 with two diamonds. For some reason, I checked, the BB bet out $50, BTN made it $120, and I decided to just flat. I was pretty sure I had the best hand, but I didn't want to cold 4bet and get shoved on, or get flatted and be OOP, and I thought this would appear as a huge hand and maybe get me to showdown. The turn came 6d completing the flush. I checked and he bet $225. I called relatively quickly, thinking now he definitely can't bluff the river because he's gotta be concerned that I have a flush! The river came Qs, I checked and he bet all in. At this point, I acknowledged the read or "tell" I had on the guy, but after about 5 minutes, decided I wanted to be a hero and called off the last $900 or so in my stack. He turned over A7dd for the nut flush! I am so frustrated with myself, I just needed to have a little faith in my read and dump the hand on the turn as played.

Anyways...Wes and I grinded together in the newly set up poker office for the first time today and I think it's gonna be a tremendously beneficial set up for the development of both of our games. I have two 24" monitors on the way from the Full Tilt store, I can't wait to have those set up, I have a good feeling it'll increase my winrate and just my general comfort level while playing.

I got a good settlement for my totaled Jeep; I'm glad to finally have that off my plate and start car shopping again. Unfortunately, when my things arrived here in the trailer, SO much of my stuff was damaged! I was really disappointed and it seems like there's very little I will be able to do about it. Just one thing after another!

My classes are coming along fine, but I have yet to go skiing a single day, which was a huge factor in me deciding to move here. From what I've heard the conditions haven't been great, they haven't had any snow since Christmas, but regardless, still somewhat pathetic that I haven't been to even check it out yet.

Sigh...hopefully I can get my act together and start putting up some good results soon, I'll grind tournaments all day Sunday so that might be a good place to start!

No comments: